Fulbright–Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad Award
The Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad (DDRA) Fellowship Program, a program of the US Department of Education’s Office of International and Foreign Language Education, provides opportunities to doctoral candidates to engage in full-time dissertation research abroad in modern foreign languages and area studies. The program is designed to contribute to the development and improvement of the study of modern foreign languages and area studies in the United States.
Note: AMINEF does not administer the Fulbright-Hays program for Indonesia, but assists the US Department of Education in providing advice on candidate selection and placement, and assists the Fulbright-Hays grantees in Indonesia in obtaining the necessary permits to enter the country and to do research.
The institutional project period is 18 months. Students may request funding for a period of no less than six months and no more than 12 months. Funds support travel expenses to and from the residence of the fellow and the country or countries of research; maintenance and dependent’s allowances based on the location of research for the fellow and his or her dependent(s); an allowance for research-related expenses overseas; and health and accident insurance premiums.
Institutions of Higher Education (IHEs) in the United States are eligible to apply for grants under this program. As part of the application process, students submit individual applications to the IHE. The IHE then submits all eligible individual student applications with its grant application to the US Department of Education.
A student is eligible to receive a fellowship if he or she:
- Is a citizen, national, or permanent resident of the United States
- Is a graduate student in good standing at an IHE
- Is admitted to candidacy in a doctoral degree program in modern foreign languages and area studies at that institution when the fellowship period begins
- Is planning a teaching career in the United States upon completion of his or her doctoral program
- Possesses sufficient foreign language skills to carry out the dissertation research project
Who May Apply (by category): Institutions of Higher Education (IHEs)
Who May Apply (specifically): Graduate students in doctoral programs in the fields of foreign languages and area studies must apply through the institutions in which they are enrolled.
- Research towards the completion of the fellow’s dissertation
- Enhanced language skills and cultural engagement
For further information, contact:
Dr. Pamela J. Maimer
International and Foreign Language Education
US Department of Education
Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad Program
400 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Room 3E207
Washington, DC 20202
Telephone: (202) 453-6891