Community College Initiative Program
The Community College Initiative Program (CCI Program) provides a quality non-degree academic program at US community colleges intended to build technical skills, enhance leadership capabilities, and strengthen English language proficiency. The program also provides opportunities for professional internships, service learning, and community engagement activities.
Participants spend one academic year in the United States and may earn certificates in their fields of study. After completing the program, participants return home with new skills and expertise to help them contribute to the economic growth and development of their country.
CCI participants are recruited from historically underrepresented and underserved communities. In Indonesia, this means AMINEF aims to recruit applicants beyond Indonesia’s major cities and in provinces beyond Java Island, which historically have had fewer opportunities for study abroad.
A special initiative funded by PT Freeport Indonesia allows a certain number of candidates from the provinces of Papua and West Papua every year to receive CCI Program awards.
Fields of Study
Applications are welcome in the fields and concentrations listed in the following fields of study. Please click on CCI 2023-24 Field of Study Master Summary containing more information on each field of study or click on the individual fields of study below:
Everyone who meets the CCI eligibility criteria listed below is welcome to apply regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, geographic location, socio-economic status, disability (physical or mental), sexual orientation, or gender identity. Persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Competition for the CCI Program is merit-based and open to anyone who:
- Is an Indonesian citizen residing in Indonesia
- Is 18 years or older by July 1, 2023
- Possesses leadership qualities and shows experience in community service
- Has preparation in, and a demonstrated commitment to, their chosen field of study
- Is proficient in English
- Has an outstanding academic record
- Has limited or no overseas study experience. Nominees with no prior overseas study or travel to the United States will be given placement priority
- Is not be receiving another fellowship at the time of this fellowship application
- Can begin the academic exchange program in the United States in July 2023
- Hold at least a high school diploma
- Have basic knowledge of English, as testified by a minimum TOEFL ITP score of 480, or IELTS equivalent, and dedication to improving their English proficiency
- Be currently working in the field in which they are applying with a maximum working experience below 5 years.
Applicants with D1, D2, or D3 degrees may apply, as well as those holding a bachelor’s degree (S1), as long as they are applying in a field different from the field of their degree and have relevant work experience in the field for which they are applying.
Applicants holding MA or PhD degrees or currently enrolled as a student are not eligible to apply.
Additional non-eligibility criteria are outlined in the attached application form.
Please also note that applicants to the applied engineering field will need to have a solid foundation in math and will need to take a math placement exam at their host campuses to be eligible for credit-bearing courses.
The CCI Program will provide funding for J-1 visa support; round-trip travel from the participant’s home city to the host institution in the United States; tuition and mandatory college fees; housing and meals; a small allowance for books and incidental expenses, limited Accident and Sickness coverage that is J-visa compliant; and a variety of personal and professional development activities. Students will be hosted in groups by community colleges competitively selected to participate in the program. Students are required to return home at the end of their program and may not transfer to a four-year US academic institution.
Submission Requirements (supplied in English)
- Completed application form (see download link below)
- Copy of most recent (less than two years old) ITP TOEFL or IELTS score report
- Legalized copy of high school diploma and transcript (in Indonesian and English translation)
- Legalized copy of associate (D1/D2/D3) or bachelor’s degree (S1) transcript (in Indonesian and English translation)
- Copy of identity document (KTP or passport)
- Official Statement of Employment (Surat Keterangan Bekerja) from Employer/Work Supervisor or HR Officer in Indonesian
The deadline for submitting application materials for the program is December 31, 2022.
*The exact deadline every year may be subject to change. If the application deadline falls on a weekend or public holiday, it is automatically extended to the next business day. Only short-listed applicants will be notified and interviewed.
How to Apply
Candidates should complete the appropriate application forms and submit them along with all supporting documents in hard copy to AMINEF via mail or drop them off in person by the application deadline at the following address:
American Indonesian Exchange Foundation (AMINEF)
Intiland Tower, Lantai 11
Jalan Jenderal Sudirman Kav. 32
Tel : (021) 579 39 085 – 9086
Specific questions regarding the application process may be addressed via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Download the application form.
CCI Program AY 2023-2024 Program Overview_AMINEF
Recruitment FAQ 2023-2024 FINAL_AMINEF
Last Updated: Oct 7, 2022 @ 8:35 pm