Fulbright Distinguished Awards in Teaching Program for International Teachers (Fulbright DAI)
The Fulbright Distinguished Awards in Teaching Program for international teachers (Fulbright DAI) is a program sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. The Fulbright Program was established in 1946 by the U.S. Congress. Fulbright grants are awarded to students, scholars, teachers and other professionals from the United States and to foreign nationals to study, teach, or conduct research. Since its inception in 1946 more than 390,000 “Fulbrighters” have participated in the Fulbright Program.
The 2022-2023 program will mark the thirteenth year of the Fulbright Distinguished Awards in Teaching Program. Participating locations for international applicants are Bangladesh, Botswana, Brazil, Finland, Greece, India, Indonesia, Israel, Mexico, Morocco, Philippines, Senegal, Singapore, Taiwan, Uganda, and the United Kingdom.
Educators are nominated to participate in the Fulbright DAI Program based on their professional experience, academic training, inquiry project idea, and leadership potential. The final selection of Fulbright Distinguished Teachers is made by the Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FFSB). The FFSB is an independent, presidentially appointed board that has oversight responsibility for all Fulbright academic exchange programs.
The Fulbright Distinguished Awards in Teaching (Fulbright DAI) will provide approximately 50 educators with a unique opportunity to develop greater expertise in their subject areas, enhance their teaching skills, increase their knowledge about the United States, and complete an individual or group project. The Program will start in August 2024 and conclude in December 2024.
Fulbright DAI is a semester-long non-degree, non-credit, professional development program at a U.S. university. Participants will audit courses in the host university’s school or department of education, and thus will be part of the university community. The Program will include opportunities to observe and co-teach with U.S. teachers in a U.S. school near the host university, in order to actively engage participants in the U.S. classroom environment. Cultural enrichment, mentoring, and support will be provided throughout the Program.
After returning home, educators who successfully complete the Program will be eligible to compete for small grants for essential teaching materials, to offer follow-on training for other educators, for collaborative projects with participating U.S. schools, and other activities that build on the exchange experience.
The Fellowship provides:
- J-1 visa support;
- A pre-departure orientation;
- Round-trip airfare to and within the U.S.;
- A Welcome and End of Program Workshop
- Academic program fees;
- Housing and meals;
- Accident and sickness medical coverage;
- Transportation to local schools (if necessary);
- A daily allowance for incidentals during the university academic program;
- A professional development allowance;
- A baggage allowance to offset the cost of travel
- A technology allowance for some locations; and
- The opportunity to apply for alumni small grants for alumni in good standing
- Be current primary and secondary school-level (SD/SMP/SMA or equivalent) full-time teachers in a school that serves a primarily local (not expatriate) population
- At least three years of full-time teaching experience or working directly with students (five years or more preferred)
- Be an Indonesian citizen
- Hold a bachelor’s degree (S1) or equivalent
- Be proficient in written and spoken English with a minimum TOEFL ITP score of 500, or TOEFL iBT score of 61, or IELTS score of 6.0, or Duolingo score of 95
- Demonstrate a commitment to continue teaching after completion of the Program
- Primary and secondary level library media specialists, guidance counselors, curriculum specialists, special education coordinators, and other educators, including administrators who work with students at least fifty percent of their time, may also apply to the Program.
The most competitive applicants will have shown evidence of leadership in their schools or districts.
How to Apply
You have a choice of two ways to apply: submitting hard copies of application documents to AMINEF in Jakarta; or applying online. The details of the two options are as follows:
Option 1: Submit a hardcopy of application documents to the AMINEF office address
1. First, you should download the application form and complete them in full.
2. Then submit the completed form and the following items in hard copy to AMINEF:
- Clearly written, concise, one-page “Statement of Purpose”
- Institutional Support and Reference Form completed by your supervisor
- Leave Approval Form completed by your school director
- Copy of KTP or Passport
- Legalized copy of Academic Transcript and Diploma
- Copy TOEFL or IELTS score
- Curriculum Vitae
Send or deliver to:
American Indonesian Exchange Foundation (AMINEF)
Intiland Tower, Lantai 11
Jalan Jenderal Sudirman Kav. 32
Tel: (021) 579 39 085 ~ 9086
Applicants can place their application in an AMINEF dropbox on the Intiland Tower’s ground floor.
Option 2: Apply online
You will need to complete the online application at the following link: here (https://fulbright.irex.org/)
The application link is also available on the program webpage: irex.org/fulbright-dai and fulbrightteacherexchanges.org.
Before you complete and submit your online application form, you should download and read carefully the application guidelines here.
Please note that the following documents must be uploaded online in PDF format:
- Institutional Support and Reference Form (Part XIV)
- Leave Approval Form (Part XV)
- KTP or Passport (Part XVI)
- Transcript and Diploma (Part XVI)
- TOEFL or IELTS score (Part XVI)
- Curriculum Vitae (Part XVI)
The deadline for submitting the completed application and the required documents is April 15.
*The exact deadlines every year may be subject to change. If the application deadline falls on a weekend or public holiday, it is automatically extended to the next business day. Only short-listed applicants will be notified and interviewed.
Applicants with specific questions regarding the application process can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last Updated: Apr 18, 2023 @ 10:43 am