The Global Undergraduate Exchange Program (Global UGRAD) provides a diverse group of emerging leaders with a scholarship for one semester of non-degree academic study at a U.S. college or university. The program is sponsored by the U.S Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, and aims to recruit participants from underrepresented, non-elite backgrounds. Successful applicants can expect an in-depth exposure to U.S. society, culture, and academic institutions, as well as an opportunity to enhance their professional skills.
All participants will be enrolled in full-time, non-degree, undergraduate course work chosen from their host institution’s existing curriculum. Participants will be required to take one, 3-credit U.S. studies course to enhance their understanding of the United States. Participants will live in campus housing facilities with American peers, and will be required to participate in twenty hours of community service. There will also be a virtual arrival orientation and an in-person end-of-program workshop.
Eligibility for the Global UGRAD Program:
- Applicants must be a citizen of Indonesia to apply for the Global UGRAD Program.
- Applicants must be studying in Indonesia to apply for the Global UGRAD Program
- Scholarships will be granted to students who currently are enrolled in full-time undergraduate programs only, having completed a minimum of their first semester of study. Participants must have at least one semester or an equivalent term to complete at their home institutions upon completion of the Global UGRAD Program.
- Applicants should demonstrate leadership potential through academic work, community involvement, and extracurricular activities.
- Applicants must demonstrate a command of written and spoken English which is shown by their TOEFL prediction score or ITP TOEFL of 500 which is less than two years old. An interview by a fluent Native English Speaker and Indonesian panelists will be conducted to confirm that the applicant would be able to achieve that score when tested. Selected candidates will be registered to take iBT TOEFL exam after the selection announcement.
- Preference will be given to those who have had little or NO experience in the U.S. or outside of their home countries.
- Applicants must be committed to return directly to Indonesia after the completion of the program.
- Applicants are over 18 years of age.
Individuals in the following circumstances are not eligible for the Global UGRAD Program:
- U.S. citizens and permanent residents of the United States;
- Individuals currently studying, residing, or working outside of Indonesia;
- Local employees of the U.S. missions abroad who work for the U.S. Department of State and/or the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID); employees are also ineligible for one year following the termination of employment;
- Immediate family members (i.e. spouses and children) of U.S. Department of State and USAID employees; family members are also ineligible for one year following the termination of employment;
- Current World Learning employees and their immediate family members.
HOW TO APPLY
You could also visit the Global UGRAD website and Global UGRAD Facebook page for more information program description, program eligibility, a link to the online application and a great video of current UGRAD students encouraging others to apply. Please note that there are requirements which is based on the country program policy that might be different from the World Learning website. For applicants from Indonesia, please refer to the above requirements when applying to this program and direct all questions to AMINEF staff.
You could find the supporting documents for this program here
Following are the required documents that must be uploaded online:
- Two Letters of Reference. One reference has to be academic and written by a lecturer from the applicant’s major field of study. The second recommendation can be from another lecturer or from an employer, coach, or community work supervisor. Please note that family members and personal friends may not provide letters of recommendation.
- Photocopy of national ID (KTP)
- The latest university progress report / transcript in Bahasa Indonesia and English. Please prepare your transcript before the deadline since you will not be able to add additional information after the deadline.
The deadline for the submission of application materials for the program is December 31, 2016.
Note: Program requirements are subject to change without notice.